Digital Scans, Photographs & Transparency Rentals
- High-quality reproduction images including scans, photographs and transparencies of materials in the collection are offered for scholarly and commercial use. Images are made by our in-house service either by scanning oa r digital photography, on the size/condition of the item.
- Unless otherwise requested, images are 300 dpi .tiff files rendered to CD and mailed to the supplied address; or you may also request FTP retrieval.
- The prices listed in the fee schedule are primarily for reference; upon receipt of your request, you will be e-mailed/mailed/faxed a quote, invoice and instructions for payment after we confirm the total and timing of your order.
- Photography of bound items incurs a minimum $25 set up fee plus the fee/shot; different collection formats may require an additional set-up fee. The simple vs. complex status of bound orders is determined by the amount of time required for photography and post-production.
- All color transparencies remain the property of the American Antiquarian Society and must be returned following the loan period.
- Some items are not eligible for reproduction services. This includes full-text of Reserve items and items already digitized, fragile collections and items which do not meet approval of Curators and/or Conservation.
- AAS retains the right to deny any request.
Ordering & Payment
- Please write or call ahead with any questions.
- Orders must be placed in writing by letter, fax, e-mail, or in-person. For e-mail, please supply the following information:
- Personal Information
- Shipping address (for CD/DVD orders and AAS invoice)
- E-mail address (for FTP service)
- Image Request Information (for each image)
- Image title (title page, frontispiece, page #(s), plate #, etc.)
- Book/collection name
- Call #/location (collection name, box, etc.)
- Any special instructions
- Use of Image
- Publication Information (i.e. printed work, personal, dissertation, exhibition, internet use, eBook, reference, etc.)
- Title of publication
- Author of publication
- Name of publisher/company
- Print run
- Please e-mail your request to jpenny[at]mwa.org as a list in the body of your e-mail or a .doc file.
- If you would prefer to fax or mail in your order, you may print an order form (PDF).
- Reproduction and licensing fees must be paid in advance.
- Some requests are eligible for Rush Status (note: not available for large orders); please note that rush service is double the original price.
- For your convenience, the Society accepts payment by MasterCard, Visa, Discover, and American Express. You may also pay by check, which should be made payable to the American Antiquarian Society. Please call if you have questions about payment.
- Scans of graphic items/small orders take approximately 2-4 weeks from receipt of payment. Large/complex orders will take longer and will be filled in the order in which they are received.
- Rush orders require credit card in advance. To minimize fullfilment time, you are strongly encouraged to provide credit card details. Credit card details may be either called into 508-471-2126 or (after supplied with quote and invoice number) to the Reproduction Payments.
- Please contact us with any questions or special circumstances.
- Please state, at time of ordering, whether your reproductions are for personal or publication use.
- To obtain permission for publication, publisher and print-run must be supplied at time of request. Please refer to our main Rights and Reproductions page for additional information on policies and procedures regarding licensing.
- Permission to reproduce material from the collection must be granted through a license agreement which will be approved at the discretion of the American Antiquarian Society.
- All licensing is granted on a per use basis. Images cannot be altered without special permission from the American Antiquarian Society. Images used on the World Wide Web must be posted at no greater than 72 dpi.
- The user of supplied photoduplicated materials assumes all responsibilities for using them in conformity with existing copyright laws.
Photographic Services Fee Schedule
|Digital Reproductionss of Unbound Graphics Items|
|$25.00 per image|
|$15.00 per image for scans already on file|
| Digital Reproductions of Bound Items
Status Determined by Rights and Reproductions, Curator and/or Conservation
(i.e. newspaper articles, loose manuscript letters, etc.)
|$1.50 per shot + $25 set up fee|
(i.e. consecutive pages in a book, entire pamphlet, etc.)
|$.75 per shot + $25 set up fee|
(please indicate black & white or color and glossy or matte)
|5 x 7||$29|
|8 x 10||$33|
|10 x 14||$37|
| Transparency Rentals
(only available for transparencies already on file)
|Color Transparency (4 x 5) (2 month rental)||$85|
| Licensing Fees
(fees are imposed on a per item, per use basis)
|Description||Nonprofit Fee||Commercial Fee|
|Publication - interior use||$15||$100|
|Dust Jacket or promotional use||$100||$200|
|Facsimile or merchandise (cards, etc.)||Negotiated fee/royalty||Negotiated fee/royalty|