Photocopies of Text and Images
- All copies will be made by an AAS staff member.
- In the interest of the preservation of materials, photocopying requests are limited to 20 exposures (photocopies and scans) per reader per day.
- The maximum size of objects to be copied may not exceed 17" x 23". Bound volumes that exceed these dimensions when opened will not be photocopied. The maximum size of the printout is 11" by 17".
- Bound newspapers will not be photocopied. Unbound newspapers may be copied, subject to staff approval.
- Photocopies of the full text of books, collections of manuscripts, or complete runs of serials of newspapers will not be made; arrangements should be made to microfilm these materials.
- Special requests are subject to a processing fee that will be negotiated before the work is initiated.
Photocopies from Microfilm
- Frames of existing microforms used at AAS may be printed by the reader, who must pay for copies at the readers' services desk. If there is an unusually heavy demand for microfilm readers on a given day, time limits may be imposed on their use.
- When materials exist in microform, copies will not be made from the original.
- All photocopies obtained from AAS are for a scholar's personal research and are not to be distributed to others. Permission must be obtained from the copyright owner to make additional copies.
- Permission is not required to publish brief quotations from manuscripts in the collections in the American Antiquarian Society and we charge no fees for such quotations. However, such quotations should be properly cited and acknowledgement given to AAS. Permission is required for lengthy quotations or publication of entire works, including complete letters. More information
Research materials that already exist in microform will not be copied or filmed from the original. Requests for copies from the Early American Imprints. Series I, Evans, and Early American Imprints. Series II, Shaw-Shoemaker, should be refered to Readex, the producers of these microfiche collections.
Prepayment may be required. RUSH orders are available at 100% surcharge of materials costs.
(Requests are limited to 20 exposures.)
|Photocopies from microfilm|
|For mail order-- minimum postage and handling charge per order|
Requests for photocopies should be submitted in writing to the Readers' Services Department. Orders should include as much information about the requested material as possible. This helps to expedite your order and ensure that the correct pages photocopied for you.
U.S. ResidentsOnce an order has been placed and approved, your order will be processed and sent to you with an invoice.
Invoices may be paid by Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or check. Checks should be made payable to the American Antiquarian Society.
Residents Outside of the U.S.Once an order has been placed and approved, you will receive an invoice. Prepayment of invoices is required for international orders.
Invoices may be paid by Mastercard, Visa, Discover, or check drawn on a U.S. bank. Checks should be made payable to the American Antiquarian Society.
Upon receipt of payment, your order will be sent to you.
American Antiquarian Society
Attn: Readers' Services Department
185 Salisbury Street
Worcester, MA 01609
Telephone: (508) 471-2171
Fax: (508) 753-3311