Immediate opening, Full Time Maintenance Assistant
Founded in 1812, the American Antiquarian Society is a learned society that supports a preeminent national research library specializing in American history, life, and culture from settlement through the year 1876. The library serves a world-wide community of scholars. The Society is committed to maintaining a level of outstanding reference service to its readers and other library constituents that has been our hallmark for decades.
The American Antiquarian Society has an immediate opening for a full time maintenance assistant. The assistant will perform the duties necessary to keep the physical structures, properties, and associated equipment of the Society in good repair. This person will assist in maintaining the grounds, landscaping, and parking areas in a clean, neat, safe, and attractive manner. The maintenance assistant will understand and apply all required safety and security procedures to maintain a safe and secure environment for employees and visitors. This includes but is not limited to preventative, emergency, corrective and routine repairs in electrical, mechanical, fire/life safety, plumbing and HVAC equipment. The position reports to the Head of Buildings and Grounds.
- Maintains HVAC, electrical, mechanical, plumbing, fire/life safety and other associated equipment to maximize efficiency levels
- Performs preventative maintenance on equipment and systems per the Preventative Maintenance schedule
- Performs other tasks as assigned including but not limited to general cleaning including vacuuming, lawn mowing and maintenance, overseeing outside contractors; work as assigned (day, evening, nights, weekends) and as required by emergency situations when directed by the Head f Buildings and Grounds
- Minimum two years experience; post high school education in facilities studies desirable
- Ability to work independently without direct supervision; good interpersonal and communication skills
- Basic craftsman skills
- Knowledge of HVAC systems; knowledge and experience in electrical systems, plumbing, mechanical equipment, as well as in the maintenance of these types of systems
- Knowledge of personal safety and safety engineering codes
- Ability to bend, stoop, kneel, push, lift & move heavy equipment/furniture & remain on one's feet for extended periods of time; ability to climb ladders, maintain balance
- Ability to work in outside all weather conditions
- Performs all assigned tasks in a professional manner as to reflect the highest integrity of the Maintenance Department
- Ability to read, write, speak, and understand the English language
- Good verbal communication skills needed to communicate with colleagues, supervisor, vendors and contractors.
Assistant must reside within 30 minute commute to the Society.
Compensation: This is a full time, 40 hour position. $32000-$40000, plus on-call and overtime. Benefits include paid vacation, sick and personal time, health insurance, retirement, life and disability insurance, and professional development.
Please email letter of application, resume and three non-relative references to Carol-Ann Mackey, Director of Human Resources, at: email@example.com, with “Maintenance Assistant” in the subject line. The American Antiquarian Society is an equal opportunity employer in accordance with applicable federal and state laws.
General Employment Information
Director of Human Resources
American Antiquarian Society
185 Salisbury Street
Worcester, MA 01609