Stereopticon view of the Reading Room - The plaster cast of Michelangelo’s Christ in the reading room was given to the Society in 1861 by its president, Stephen Salisbury II. The figures of Christ and Moses that Salisbury arranged to import from Italy were presented to the Society as symbols of the law as expressed in the Old and New Testaments. Newspapers, stored on numbered tables or in the alcoves, were listed by location in the three-volume guide to “Bound Newspapers in A.A.S. Library, December 24, 1861. Alcove Catalogue” (Octavo vol. 18.9. AAS Archives). Stereopticon view of Antiquarian Hall, New Series American Scenery, J. S. and J.M. Moulton, Salem, Mass.
The Amerian Antiquarian Society, 1812-2012 - A View at the Bicentennial
A Private Library for the Public Good - Edmund Mills Barton, 1883-1908