Celeron Plate - This mutilated fragment is one of a series of leaden plates used in a 1749 expedition led by Pierre-Joseph Céleron de Blainville to strengthen the claims of the French king to the territories of the Ohio Valley by listing the treaties. Seven of these plates can be documented. Each was about 11 by 7.5 inches and 1/8 in. thick, bearing an inscription in French with a blank space left for the date and location to be added at the deposit site. This fragment, buried at the mouth of the Muskingum River in Ohio in 1749, was the subject of an article by DeWitt Clinton on its inscription and history of the marker published in the Society’s Transactions in 1836. Gift of DeWitt Clinton, 1827 [for higher contrast, view the plate in black and white here].
The Amerian Antiquarian Society, 1812-2012 - A View at the Bicentennial
A Palmy State of Prosperity - Christopher Columbus Baldwin, 1831-1837 & Maturin L. Fisher, Interim Appointment