verso marking

back to [Savannah, Georgia View] | [index page]

AAS #:     


Savannah Bank, Georgia


Branch Bank of the United States Savannah


Platter 6.5” x 5” in dark blue with a border of repetitive rose and leaf medallions in an elliptical, scalloped shape. Bank is located in the center of the platter and is one story high with six columns in the center and two arched windows on the right and left of the entrance. There are clouds above the building, a dwelling house in the left background and feathery-leaved trees framing the building. In front of the bank is a couple standing locked arm-in-arm.

Potter: John & William Ridgway, 1814-1830 (Cauldon Place) Hanley
Date: ca. 1825

Joshua Shaw (1776-1860) Illustrator, William G. Mason, (fl. 1822-1845) Engraver


Reverse) Printed on back of plate in top half of blue cartouche: (above) EXCHANGE CHARLESTON. [The remainder of the mark is missing.  In viewing the mark on the tureen (AAS#: 216), a full cartouche mark is found with the words “Exchange Charleston” and “Bank Savannah” printed in blue. One can only assume that the full mark was not transferred onto the Savannah Bank platter]

View Source:

Engraved by William G. Mason after a drawing by Joshua Shaw and published in Commercial Directory; containing, a topographical description, extent and production of different sections of the Union….Philadelphia: Published by J. C. Kayser & Co. J. Maxwell, printer, 1823. Engraving is inserted between pages 38 and 39. (Above building) Commercial Information / Relative to  / the / State / of / Georgia.  (Below building) Drawn by J. Shaw.  William Jay Architect.  Engraved By W.G. Mason. / Branch Bank of the United States / Savannah/ Philadelphia / Published by J.C. Kayser & Co. / 1823

< previous
AAS Home | About this site | Bibliography | Maps | Introduction [full] | 'Beauties of America' talk & photographs