front
enlarge

verso marking
enlarge

back to [Philadelphia, Pennsylvania Views] | [index page]

AAS #:     

42
Name: 

Staughton’s Church (Sansom Street Baptist Church) Philadelphia

View:    Staughton’s Church Philadelphia
Description:    Plate 8.5” in dark blue with repetitive rose and leaf medallion border. View on face of plate is of the Sansom Street Baptist Church of Philadelphia also known as “Staughton’s Church” with a dome, steeple, and right and left cupolas with two columns, and two figures in right foreground.  There are full trees to the left and right of the church.  The Sansom Street Baptist Church was named “Staughton’s Church” after the popular Rev. William Staughton, D.D., who served as pastor from 1812-1824, after he resigned as pastor of the First Baptist Church of Philadelphia amid controversy.
Potter: John & William Ridgway, 1814-1830 (Cauldon Place) Hanley
Date: ca. 1825
Artist: Unknown
Marks:

(on reverse) Printed on back of plate in blue cartouche: (above) BEAUTIES of AMERICA, (within cartouche) STAUGHTONS CHURCH /PHILADELPHIA. (below cartouche) J & W RIDGWAY

View Source:

The source of the drawing of Staughton’s Church is unknown.  However, the view became part of a series gathered by Pottery owner  John Ridgway during his visit to Philadelphia in the Fall of 1822.

< previous
 
AAS Home | About this site | Bibliography | Maps | Introduction [full] | 'Beauties of America' talk & photographs