front
enlarge

verso marking
enlarge

back to [Hartford, Connecticut Views] | [index page]

AAS #:     

40
Name: 

Deaf and Dumb Asylum, Hartford, Connecticut

View:    View of the American Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb
Description:   

Platter, 14.5” x 11” in dark blue with repetitive rose and leaf medallion border and front view of the Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb in Hartford, Connecticut. The Asylum is four stories high with four columns and a pediment in the front and sides of the building. Feathery-leaved trees frame the building in the right foreground and left background, along with a floral bush in the center foreground, all added by the Ridgway Potters to Barber’s depiction of the Asylum, which opened in 1820. Barber's view has a native tree to the left, two small poplars to the right, and a wooden fence in the foreground.

Potter: John & William Ridgway, 1814-1830 (Cauldon Place) Hanley
Date: ca. 1825
Artist: John Warner Barber (1798-1885) Illustrator and Engraver     
Marks:

On reverse) Printed on back of plate in blue cartouche: (above) BEAUTIES of AMERICA, (within cartouche) DEAF & DUMB ASYLUM / HARTFORD. CON. (below cartouche) J & W RIDGWAY

View Source: The source of the view of the American Asylum for the Deaf and Dumb (Hartford, Conn.) is John Warner Barber’s engraving found on page 34 of his book Connecticut Historical Collections,: Containing a General Collection of Interesting Facts, Traditions, Biographical Sketches, Anecdotes. New Haven, Conn.: B.L. Hamlen, 1836. (AAS: LCt Barb C836)
< previous
 
AAS Home | About this site | Bibliography | Maps | Introduction [full] | 'Beauties of America' talk & photographs